Projeto SMS Escola (SMS School Project)
to assess the impact of communication between school and parents about the performance of students – attendance, grades and truancy –, separating the effect of messages encouraging the parents to be more aware of truancy, late arrival and delivery of assignments, from those that inform them of the performance of their children in each of these aspects, in absolute terms and relative to the performance of the school group.
EduqMais has greater impact on those that need it most. The effect on Portuguese language grades is 15 times greater for students whose responsible adults have lower education levels. The effect on mathematics grades is 6 times greater for these students.
- Registration: Face-to-face, with the support of material produced by MGov, by the mathematics teachers of the schools participating in the survey;
- Audience:About 25,000 parents or guardians of students in 8th grade or the 9th year of Primary School, in 223 government schools in the State of São Paulo;
- Phraseology: Five months of weekly communication by SMS, integrated with the system so that teachers can enter information about their students' attendance, late arrival and delivery of tasks. Fifteen questions about prior knowledge and demand for the solution, in the baseline, and fifteen questions about engagement in the education of their children, at the end of the survey;
- Incentives: BRL5.00 in pre-paid cellphone credit to those who answered the whole survey.
- System for registering school events or entering information per student, integrated to SMS;
- Voice Response Unit calls.
- EduqMais has the potential to increase the Basic Education Development Index (IDEB). It had a positive impact of between 0.38 and 0.57 points on grades, with the engagement aspect being the component that most contributed to this progress;
- EduqMais has greatest impact on those that need it most. The effect on Portuguese language grades is 15 times greater for students whose responsible adults have lower education levels. The effect on mathematics grades is 6 times greater for these students.