Access to the justice system
to assess the availability of equipment and mechanisms for residents of the Maré favelas in Rio de Janeiro to access justice.
lack of faith, discomfort and lack of knowledge regarding the formal justice system were factors cited to explain the low demand for justice mechanisms in the region.
- Registration: Face-to-face, with support from material produced by MGov, by volunteers of the Maré Network, using the ODK system;
- Audience: 240 adult residents in the 17 favelas in the Maré Complex in Rio de Janeiro;
- Phraseology: nine questions in a single wave about access to justice in the communities;
- Incentives: BRL5.00 pre-paid cellphone credit or public transport pre-paid card as a reward for completing the whole survey.
- Registration by ODK;
- The respondent selects from two incentive options;
- Voice Response Unit calls.
- Low access to formal justice in the communities, unlike informal mechanisms;
- Lack of faith, discomfort and lack of knowledge regarding the formal justice system being factors cited to explain the low demand.